-
January 8th, 2001, 01:23 AM
#11
Inactive Member
Damn.
(The shortest post I've ever made.)
Oh wait,
Alex, how exactly do you rate Polaroid film to have the same ASA properties as Super8 stock? Like, say I wanted to use it to do tests for K-40. Would that just be a matter of stacking ND filters in order to knock the "ASA rating" of the Polaroid film down to the same rating of Kodachrome? I have a couple of 430 land cameras I picked up with this sort of thing specifically in mind, but haven't really had a chance to play around with testing this out...
SR
-
January 8th, 2001, 04:39 AM
#12
Inactive Member
Ekoe--
I tried the simplycine website & there's no way to email them. The site is certainly "simple," to the extent that it's a single page with no subpages, no contact info & no address, etc. The site has not been updated since 6/00... Do you know anymore about getting in touch w/ them? I'd love to encourage them, but--
Pat
-
January 8th, 2001, 10:34 AM
#13
HB Forum Moderator
I had just finished this reply when this forum crashed on Jan 07, 2001.
I saved it as an e-mail, so here it is..............................
There is a special polaroid 110A camera from the 50's that is modified to take newer polaroid film stock.
Polaroid makes a 3000 ASA BW stock and one other ASA I can't remember.
This Polaroid still camera has f-stop settings.
It's slightly complicated in that you have to match 3000 ASA to the ASA of your super-8mm, but the cool thing about this polaroid camera is there is a shutter setting dial and f-stop dial that allows you to compensate for the disaparity in ASA.
So you set the polaroid camera to an f-stop of around 5.6, adjust the shutter setting significantly faster than 1/60 of a second (something like 1/500), snap your picture, the BW polaroid develops in a minute.
Approximately 10,000 of these polaroid cameras have been modified in the last 20 years...numerous big-time DP's own them...I think they sell around $ 500.00-$ 550.00, However, if you find one of these cameras at a garage or estate sale, 4 Designs Company will do the mod for around $ 300.00 (I'm guessing it could be less or slightly more...it also depends on the shape the camera is in)
Just like a high-quality tripod, these polaroid cameras retain their value exceedingly well.
It may be the best investment you can make as a Film D.P. because dark or overexposed footage can be much more expensive to fix or reshoot, especially if it happens to you more than once.
(this just in, my tech just called back as I was finishing this post and said the website is located at...) www.fourdesigns.com
Also, they sell a "laminated f-stop chart" that tells you what settings to use on the polaroid camera to match the movie film ASA and camera-shutter speed you are using.
Who knew? I didn't!
Alex
-
January 8th, 2001, 09:15 PM
#14
Inactive Member
Super 8 commag sound:
When the stock was still available, I did not use it very often, because the editing process, with its 18 frame distance between sound and frame is not so easy to handle. I used it more to enable double exposure and lap dissolve. Furhermore, the sound film was not striped, the magnetic track was directly on the film surface, thus building an curved surface. This affected very much the sound quality and volume level, it was unpossible to cut it together with striped material.
But nevertheless - If sombody want?s to use it, at THIS cardrige prices, over USD 75 for 2,5 minutes, it would be much more economic to use the Beaulieu 200 ft metal magazine, NEW available for all cameras which accept the old Kodak 200 ft cardrige. The magazine can easyly be loaded with 200 ft daylight reels, available as K40, K40sound, and K25daylight distributed by Beaulieu. The mag has a real metal pressure plate which provides a better accurancy than the Kodak plasitic pressure plate.
If anybody of you would like to have a illustrated information about this cardrige, please email me and I will send you a scan (jpg).
Another possibility was to use 50 ft metal cardriges (f.e. from Kahl, about USD 25 each, without film) which can be loaded at home with any stock available. I only don?t know if there are sound cardriges around, too.
Pedro
[This message has been edited by #Pedro (edited January 08, 2001).]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks